40. Low Cut Connie “Boozophilia” What a fun, hipster way of saying “you’re a fucking alcoholic.” Drunk boys making piano-driven indie rock will always make the Top 40.
39. Björk “Mutual Core” I thought this was a standard Björk ballad, albeit a little sparse…until the beat kicked in halfway through and her inner Major Lazer came out.
38. Jennifer Hudson & Ne-Yo with Rick Ross “Think Like A Man” Jennifer Hudson has never sounded better on a record that on this single. Ne-Yo is usually pretty useless anyway, but she completely makes you forget he even showed up to the recording studio.
37. Big Bang “Monster” If you let Big Bang’s fashion distract you from the music, you’re making a huge mistake. No other boybands, K-pop or otherwise, are making pop music of this caliber.
36. Shangela “Werqin Girl” In the dictionary beside Doing Too Much there is a link to this video. Shangela tried to put every trick she had into this song, and it’s so ridiculous it’s impossible to ignore. Don’t let this come on at the club…I will come to werq.
I was reliving that woman’s greatness all week, trying to wash “Triumphant” out of my brain and it just isn’t working. I can’t believe she wrote that and said “Yes, this is a great song/lead single.” This is the same woman who wrote “Always Be My Baby” aka Stalker Anthem Of The Century? Can’t be.
(I can’t wait to see her American Idol outfits though…I already know she’s gonna look every kind of bedazzled Strawberry/Citi Trendz/Rainbow.)
Sometimes, you accidentally listen to a lot of k-pop. See, what had happened was, I’ve been getting stuff I missed since that concert in California last week and I’ve decided three things:
2NE1 really is one of the best pop groups on the planet. That is just so much sass in one place I can’t even take it.
SISTAR has a lot of weak songs, but I feel like they have a shot at actually becoming a big deal since A) Three of them are pretty good singers B) Bora is ridiculously pretty and C) Hyolyn can saaaaannnnng.
Girls’ Generation needs more subgroups like TaeTiSeo. They are really giving me actual girl group vocals and not just processed pop fluff. I hope the next breakout has Hyoyeon in it with some kind of hip-hop flavor.
And it was called Tranny Strip. Nice name, huh. Obviously they wanted you to know exactly what the deal was before you paid that $25 cover. One thing is for damn sure though…the host, Ashley Sky, is gorgeous.