100. Rihanna “Diamonds” I’m biased against her because I hate her, but this is the best song anybody’s ever written for a llama.
99. Skrillex “Bangarang” I’m also biased against dubstep because it sounds like a seizure, but Skrillex finally made a song that sounds like “music” and not a dial-up internet connection.
98. Monica & Brandy “It All Belongs To Me” Unfortunately, neither of my girls will ever reach their 90s heights as far as popularity, but they’re both sounding better and better each year (and looking amazing).
97. Guided By Voices “Doughnut for a Snowman” More songs need to start off like first grade music class when you learn to play the recorder. I realize that sounds like shade, but it comes from a good place. This song makes me happy
96. The Beach Boys “That’s Why God Made the Radio” Nobody does harmony like the Beach Boys, even five decades into their career. This song makes me want to get my tan on…and I’m a black man who doesn’t even like the beach.
This girl at work added a Kaskade station to my Pandora. She says she didn’t, but I don’t believe her. In any case, now I oftentimes find myself needing to listen to Kaskade when I’m in my room doing supercool things like twisting my hair or knitting sweaters.
Y’all, Brandy is aging like a fine wine, do you hear me? I mean, realtalk: I thought her features were a little bit….off. Back in the day anyway. But she is absolutely stunning in this video. Monica ain’t no slouch either, still lookin like 14-years-old-“just one a dem days.” And they sound so good, not competing for the spotlight, just doing their thing and complementing each other…Brandy’s lower register versus Monica’s gospel ad libs. I’m so feeling this.
Grammy Week is a big deal out in LA. Everybody throws a party and invites all of the industry insiders to drink and have a good time. And people perform. These are clips of the performances you didn’t get to see. Watch Keke Wyatt and Faith Evans throw down like they’re still actually famous. And a clip of Brandy & Monica rehearsing their classic duet.
It’s here. Fourteen years after “The Boys Is Mine”, that track I told you about last month leaked onto the radio a couple of hours ago. Brandy has grown so much, vocallyl, since the mid-90s. Monica basically ran that track back then, but these women are on equal footing this time around, kicking some no-good man to the curb…but letting him know all his stuff stays right here. It might not burn up the charts like their first collaboration, but I’m not mad at this at all. Nice job, ladies.
Texas post-hardcore rockers At the Drive-In have posted a cryptic tweet that all but announces that they will be reuniting for the first time in 11 years. “¡ ATTENTION ! To whom it may concern: AT THE DRIVE-IN will be breaking their 11 year silence THIS STATION IS …NOW…OPERATIONAL,” the band wrote in a tweet earlier this afternoon. (cont.)
AND! AND MUTHERFUCKING AND!!!!
Brandy and Monica just recorded the follow-up to “The Boys Is Mine”:
Singers Brandy & Monica are set to collaborate again, 14 years after they teamed up for the 1998 duet ‘The Boy Is Mine’.
The pair visited a recording studio in Miami on Saturday (January 7) to work on a brand new song, with Brandy - pictured above - telling her fans on Twitter: “Wonderful night in the studio! I wasn’t 100%, but I gave it my all and it turned out great! Just a little more raspy than normal… I love you so much Mo. Thank you!” (cont.)
What is this one-two-punch of Awesomeness?!
Wow 2012. If you really are the end of the world, you are really trynna do big things and go out on a high note. I just. I can’t even deal with all of this.
(PS: Where is the homo who had the same reaction to all of this that I did? That’s the dude I’m trynna wife up. Holler.)