I will literally watch anything with Eve Jeffers in it. She is my Life Role Model and I mean that with my whole spirit.
Also, this means new music from BRANDY (feat. Others) so how could I NOT be obsessed?
Hot Takes: The Housewife & The Hustler
This is a good True Crime Documentary for anybody, not just Housewives fans.
1. Imagine sitting at home with a bowl of popcorn watching a documentary about how your co-worker funds her hobby with money her husband stole from burn victims and families of plane crash victims? What is it like being on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills right now?!
2. You don’t need to like, watch, or even be remotely familiar with The Real Housewives (of Beverly Hills or anywhere else) to enjoy this quick little documentary. If you like true crime and/or you enjoy that feeling of outrage you get watching grifters grift, this is just another documentary about rich people stealing money.
3. For backstory: Erika Girardi was a young, struggling actress who married a mega-wealthy lawyer 40ish years her senior, Tom Girardi (of Erin Brockovich fame). She then decided she wanted to become a popstar and Tom funded her career, spending millions of dollars to turn her into a bonafide artist (she had nine consecutive number one hits on the Billboard Dance/Club chart, before she was ever on Real Housewives. Only Katy Perry, JLo, and Madonna have longer unbroken strings of hits.) Now she’s divorcing him because he’s a grifter and she’s pretending she didn’t know about it.
4. The fact that the first person we see in this documentary is Danielle ProstitutionWhore Staub absolutely sent me to the moon.
5. I’m ready to fight when somebody owes me $50. If I gave you money, but then I see you on Instagram at the club, I’m ready to fight, because you are drinking the money you should be giving back to me. I cannot imagine the amount of rage in my spirit if I knew you owed me millions and millions of dollars and I see your wife on TV spending my money on hair and makeup and clothes. I would be in jail right now.
6. The fact that Erika is still filming the show is beyond my powers of comprehension. Your husband, who stole money from his clients to fund your career and your image because you wanted to be a celebrity and you wanted to be on a reality TV show, is giving depositions about being broke….and you are still letting the cameras follow you and your $2,000 a day glam squad? Are you joking?
7. She absolutely knew. I think Tom was a grifter long before Erika came into the picture and she genuinely had no knowledge of his business when they got married. I think she was young and saw a meal ticket, which isn’t a judgement of her character. Tom saw youth, beauty, vitality. Erika saw money and stability. And they both like each other. Great partnership. But you cannot convince me that she didn’t put the pieces together over the years and she was just sitting in the dark about everything her husband was doing.
8. And she divorced him so she could shelter his ill-gotten assets under her own corporation.
9. Tom Girardi is going to jail. I don’t know what would make a crook want to go on national television and risk being exposed, but we saw the same thing with Russell Armstrong (and he eventually committed suicide because of the light shown on his shady business due to his wife’s visibility on this same franchise.)
10. This is so dark. I just be trynna watch Housewives for petty arguments and fashions. It feels so dirty watching Erika walk around in Chanel now…
Vanity Fair: A Different World: Cast Members and Crew Tell the Oral History
In 1987, one of television’s most influential shows was born. The stars, writers, and producers look back on their years at Hillman College.
This is faaaannnnntastic!
Random things I did not know:
Meg Ryan was almost cast as Marisa Tomei’s character.
Dawnn Lewis wrote the theme song for A Different World — is that common knowledge?? Am I late?
Jasmine Guy got the role of Whitley and 20 minutes later was sitting at a table read.
A Different World was the #2 show, between Cosby and Cheers. I didn’t realize it had been so big.
Yvette Lee Bowser fought for a job on that show. It was her first one and she was a glorified intern for awhile. And look at her now!
This wasn’t in the article but I just looked it up: A Different World still holds the record for the highest rated premiere pilot.
Watch: Abbott Elementary (ABC) first look teaser
From “he got money” to “she got top billing over Sheryl Lee Ralph in a network sitcom”
We must AS A FAMILY throw our entire weight behind this show. How often do we see Black people — not beige ones either! — leading a primetime sitcom? That they’re also creating and writing?!
Eric Adams supports terrorizing Black people.
Carl Nassib is the NFL’s first active gay player.
France is giving the United States another Statue of Liberty.
Casey Frey has a boyfriend.
Women of color and emotional trauma in white Real Housewives casts
Hot Takes: Cruella
Race1 year ago
How to respond to “riots never solve anything!”
LGBT10 months ago
Niecy Nash ties the knot with singer Jessica Betts.
Pop Culture2 years ago
Today I Learned: Betty White Gave Arthur Duncan His Start
Race11 months ago
Why don’t we say “Ebonics” anymore?
LGBT12 months ago
Valentina Sampaio, Sports Illustrated, and trans women under the male gaze.
LGBT7 years ago
A lesson on what bisexuality means and what it doesn’t.
On Television12 months ago
The story behind Hottie and that microwaved chicken.
Pop Culture2 years ago
Aubrey O’Day is a blowup doll and I love it.